Just about every app these days wants to send push notifications
Push notifications on Facebook are the alerts you receive when your phone is locked or when you aren’t actively browsing Facebook. Think of Facebook push notifications as an alert that pushes through the closed app to make you aware of any Facebook activities that may interest you.
Push notifications are useful if you don’t want to miss a comment, message, Livestream, or anything else on Facebook.
Also Read: How to Copy and Paste on Facebook
Turn Each Facebook Push Notification On or Off
To make sure that Facebook pushes only the notifications you want to receive, navigate to Notifications Settings, and adjust the Push setting for each notification.
- Sign in to Facebook on a web browser or the Facebook mobile app.
Select the down arrow in the upper right corner on Facebook.com. Tap the three lines in the lower-right corner of the mobile app.
Select Setting & Privacy > Settings on Facebook.com and on the app.
- Select Notifications in the left pane on Facebook.com. On the mobile app, scroll down to Notifications and select Notification Settings.
- Under What Notifications You Receive, you’ll see the different Facebook notifications you can receive. Select a notification to adjust its Push setting.
Set the Push setting to On or Off.
You can push the following Facebook notification:
- Comments: Notifies you of comments and replies to your posts and comments.
- Tags: Notifies you when someone tags you in a post or comment.
- Reminders: Reminds you of any Facebook updates that you may have overlooked.
- More Activity About You: Notifies you when someone posts to your timeline, when people like your posts, and more.
- Updates from Friends: Notifies you when friends update their statuses or post pictures.
- Friend Requests: Let’s you know when someone sends you a friend request or accepts your friend request.
- People You May Know: Suggests people you may be interested in friending on Facebook, based on your current Facebook friends and their friends.
- Birthdays: Notifies you when a friend has a birthday.
- Groups: Notifies you when people post in the various groups you are in.
Note: You must select each group to modify its Push setting.
- Videos: Notifies you when people or pages that you follow go live on Facebook.
- Events: Updates and reminders about events that you are interested in.
- Pages you follow: Notifications about activity on the pages you follow.
- Marketplace: Notifications about items for sale that you may be interested in.
- Fundraisers and crisis: Receive notifications when friends mark themselves safe on Facebook, when they create or participate in fundraisers and charity events, or when they give donations.
- Other Notifications: This covers all other Facebook notifications such as an app or game requests, offers that expire soon, and nearby restaurants.
Turn Facebook Push Notifications On or Off on Your Browser
If you use Google Chrome or Firefox, you can set Facebook to push notifications to your browser, or not.
- On Facebook.com, navigate to Setting & Privacy > Settings > Notifications > How You Get Notifications > Browser.
- Turn the browser’s Push Notifications setting to the On or Off position, or select Mute Notifications to turn off Facebook push notifications on the browser.
Note: In this section, you can also change the Sounds setting for Facebook push notifications to turn sounds on or off when a notification or message is received.
Turn Facebook Push Notifications On or Off on the Mobile App
To adjust your push notification settings on the Facebook mobile app:
- On the mobile app, navigate to Notification Settings > Manage Your Notifications.
- If you want to mute your Facebook push notifications, turn the Mute Push Notifications switch to On. If you want to receive Facebook push notifications, keep the setting Off.
- If you elect to mute push notifications, a screen displays with time increments from 15 minutes to 8 hours. Select an amount of time to mute Facebook push notifications from on mobile app.
Also Read: How to Host a Facebook Watch Party