A guide to navigating the exclusive Clubhouse social app
What to Know
- Create a profile: Download Clubhouse. Enter an invite code. Enter a display name, username, bio. Optional: Link Instagram and Twitter.
- Start a new room: Tap Start a room and select either Social, Open, or Closed. Choose your topic, and then tap Let’s Go.
- Join a room: Tap any room to join in. To be a part of the conversation, tap the Raise your hand icon to have the moderator unmute you.
This article explains how to use the audio social networking Clubhouse app for Android and iOS. The information covers how to create a profile, how to follow people, and how to get started joining rooms.
Also Read: How to Mute Yourself on Clubhouse
Create a Profile
You must have a Clubhouse invitation from a Clubhouse user before you can use Clubhouse. Each user can send a limited number of invitations.
- Download Clubhouse from the App Store after you receive an invitation, enter your invitation code and create your profile.
- Select a username. Link on Twitter or Instagram, the user has the @ symbol in front of it.
- Select a display name. Clubhouse shows this name to other users. Use your preferred name, legal name, or anything else. Whatever you select, make it easy to see at a glance, so you’re instantly recognizable in a room.
- Write your bio. The bio is where you’re free to share anything about yourself. There isn’t a character limit like a Twitter bio, and line breaks are allowed, so get creative. Within your bio, you can include links, but links aren’t active. Other Clubhouse users must copy and paste the link into a browser.
- Connect your Instagram and Twitter accounts. These connections are optional but make it easier for other Clubhouse users to follow you on other social media sites. When you connect to Twitter, you can migrate your profile information into Clubhouse.
Follow People and Interests
Clubhouse displays a list of interests you can select to follow when you finish creating your profile. Categories include World Affairs, Hustle, Wellness, Faith, Identity, Languages, Sports, Hanging Out, Life, Knowledge, Places, Entertainment, Tech, and Arts.
Clubhouse asks you to access your contacts after selecting the topics you want to follow. This part is optional, and you may opt not to grant permissions due to privacy concerns. By entering a phone number or using your phone’s contact dialer feature, you can still invite friends to Clubhouse.
The app suggests people you might want to follow when you get Clubhouse permission to access your contacts. The clubhouse makes recommendations based on your selected interests if you don’t grant access to your contacts.
If you have to look around before following people or interests, you are free to do so. Skip the contact access and interests sections, and Clubhouse directs you to the main application.
Important: If you don’t give Clubhouse access to your contacts, but a friend uploads their contacts to Clubhouse, and your info is on that list, other people are selected that you joined Clubhouse.
The clubhouse doesn’t have a typical home page. But, it has a main screen that acts as a summary of what’s going on in your network, featuring live and upcoming Clubhouse rooms on display.
At the top is a chronological overview of upcoming Clubhouse rooms available to join. You’ll find a collection of live Clubhouse rooms inspired by people or interests you follow. In addition to the Clubhouse room’s topic and name, the summary box shows how many people are in the room and how many active speakers there are.
How to Start a Room
While Clubhouse has rooms that span myriad interests, it’s easy to start a room and create a discussion that interests you.
To start a room:
- On the bottom of the home screen, select the green Start a room button.
- Select whether the new room should be Social, Open, or Closed. Open rooms are open to anyone who has the link. Social ones are available only to people you follow, and closed ones are available to people you allow to join.
- Add a Topic for the room. Summaries of the space, Topics, are optional but can be critical when using a Social or Open room, and you want others to find the discussion quickly.
Select Let’s Go, and you’re on the air. Depending on the room settings, others can join, and you can turn participants into moderators to help guide the conversations.
How to Join a Room
Joining a Clubhouse room is as simple as tapping on a room you come across, either on the home screen or while searching through topics and interests. You’re muted by default when you join a room, but you can hear the other speakers.
How to Mute and Unmute Yourself in the Clubhouse App
If you want to be a part of the conversation, request to speak by tapping the Raise your hand icon in the lower-right corner of the Clubhouse room user interface. It notifies the moderators you want to join the conversation, giving them the option to unmute you or make you a moderator.
Using the + icon, you can also add friends to the room, which displays a list of people who follow you and the option to share the room’s link to external platforms.
Also Read: How to find Friend’s Birthdays on Facebook
Tap the Leave quietly icon to leave the room. It takes you to the main Clubhouse screen to join the following conversation, find the next topic, or leave the app.