Keep your searches private
What to Know
- In a browser: Sign in to YouTube.com. Select History > Search History > Clear All Search History.
- In the app: Sign in to the YouTube app. Tap your profile icon in iOS or the menu icon in Android. Tap Settings > Clear search history > OK.
This article explains how to clear your YouTube search history from a browser or from the YouTube app. It also includes instructions for pausing your search history to block YouTube from tracking it.
Also Read: How to Manage YouTube Notifications
How to Clear Your YouTube Search History From YouTube.com
When you search for something on YouTube while signed in to your account, the search term is stored in your account search history. If you don’t want that information stored, you can clear your YouTube history at any time.
Follow these instructions to clear your YouTube search history on a web browser.
- Sign in to your account at YouTube.com.
- Go to the left menu pane and select History.
Select Search history in the History type section of the right pane.
Select Clear All Search History.
Tip: You can delete individual searches instead of clearing searches all at one time. Find your searches in the search history list. The most recent searches are at the top. Select the X icon next to an individual item to delete it.
How to Clear Your YouTube Search History Using the YouTube App
Follow these instructions to clear your YouTube search history using the YouTube app for iOS or Android.
- Open the YouTube app on your device and sign in to your account.
- On an iOS device, select your account profile icon in the upper-right corner of the screen. On an Android device, select the menu icon represented by three vertical dots.
- On the following tab, select Settings.
- On the next tab, scroll down or select Clear search history in the History & privacy section.
- A pop-up appears and asks if you’re sure you want to clear your search history. Select OK to clear it.
Tip: To delete individual searches from the YouTube app, tap the magnifying glass icon. A list of your previous searches appears beneath the search field. On iOS, swipe left on a search and select the Delete button that appears. On Android, tap and hold a search term. In the pop-up box that appears, tap Remove to delete it from your search history.
How to Pause Your YouTube Search History
Clearing your search history all the time can be inconvenient. A better option is to pause it so that YouTube temporarily stops tracking it. It remains on pause until you turn it back on again.
On YouTube.com, pausing your search history can be done by selecting the History tab and then selecting Pause Search History.
On the YouTube iOS app, tap your account profile and then tap Settings > Pause search history.
On the YouTube Android app, select the menu icon represented by three vertical dots, tap Settings > History & privacy, and turn on Pause search history.
Why People Clear Their YouTube Search History
Your YouTube searches can’t be seen or accessed by other YouTube users or people who visit your channel. However, your search history influences how YouTube chooses to show content.
YouTube displays a selection of recommended videos on the home page of your account based on your search history. When your YouTube search history is cleared, these recommended videos no longer reflect what you’ve previously searched.
Also Read: How to Customize an Embedded YouTube Video
Your search history also prompts YouTube to automatically suggest past searches in the drop-down menu that appears when you start typing in the search box. These past search suggestions no longer appear after you clear your search history.