Videos have become the most dependent on the mode of communication. They are perfect for tutorials, advertisements, and any method to reach the target group. But it’s not just that When creating and sharing videos, you want to make sure your content can be understood by as many people as possible. Whether they’re hard of hearing or simply in a setting where they can’t have their volume turned on, viewers should be able to enjoy your videos. Adding subtitles to the YouTube video could increase your audience. Subtitles allow viewers to enjoy your content via closed captioning.
That’s why adding subtitles to videos is such an important step when publishing your content on YouTube.
Why YouTube subtitles are important?
There are many reasons why you should add subtitles to your YouTube videos, but the main reasons are below :
- Improve video accessibility.
- Encourage further comprehension.
- Boost SEO.
- Improve the overall user experience.
How to add subtitle on YouTube video ?
Here’s how to add closed captions to the videos you upload to your YouTube channel:
- Open a web browser and sign in to YouTube channel.
- Select Subtitles from the left menu.
- Select those videos you want to edit.
- tap the Set Language drop-down menu and choose a language, then select Confirm.
- Find your video in the Video Subtitles list and select Add.
How to Turn on Subtitles on YouTube
If you’re a viewer and wants to see subtitles on videos you watch on YouTube, here’s how to enable this feature:
- Navigate to the video you wish to view.
- Select the CC icon, which is in the lower-right corner of the video player window.
- A red line appears under the CC icon, and captions display while the video plays.
How to Set Subtitles to Turn on Automatically
You can modify your YouTube account settings. If you want to display closed captions and subtitles automatically by default. Here are some steps you need to do :
- Select your Google Account icon, located in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- When the menu appears, select Settings.
- Select Playback and performance, located in the left menu.
- In the Captions section, select Always show captions and Include auto-generated captions (when available) to enable automatic captioning.
- Publish the subtitles.
Tools for adding YouTube subtitles
If you’re looking for a faster way to transcribe your YouTube video to add subtitles – not that we blame you – there are a variety of tools you can use.
Below are some tools that can help you easily create and add subtitles to a video.
Rev is a transcription company that offers a different option for transcription for a fee. Rev provides captions written for your videos by human professionals with 99% accuracy for $1.25 per minute, or you can get a transcription on a budget and have their AI machine transcribe your content with 80% accuracy for $0.25 per minute.
Otter.ai is transcription software that provides you live transcriptions of meetings, video conferences as well as YouTube videos to create highly accurate captions and meeting notes. Otter.ai is an AI-powered software, which provides immediate, automated transcriptions of your meetings and videos at an affordable cost.
Supply add captions to the video online. This tool was created specifically for captioning videos for accessibility and user experience.
There are a couple of ways you can create subtitles for your videos. You can have the tool automatically overlay the captions on your video in your choice of font and font color, or you can download the caption text to add to a video editor.
Using the YouTube Subtitle Tool On Your Own Video:
- Login to your YouTube account.
select “My Channel”. This button is located near the top of the sidebar and will take your personal YouTube page.
- select “Video Manager”. This button in the top left of your channel and will take you to a list of your video uploads.
- You can also access the Video Manager by clicking your account icon and going to “Creator Studio > Video Manager”.
tap the “Edit” dropdown arrow and select “Subtitles and CC”. This will take you to the subtitling interface.
- tap “Add New Subtitles” and select “Create new subtitles or closed captions”. This button is to the right of the video in the subtitling interface.
- Select your subtitle language. This categorizes your subtitles for future viewing by youtubers from all over the world.
- Play the video and pause when you want to enter a subtitle. Playback can be used to listen to the spoken line before entering the text into the text area.
- Enter the subtitle text into the text area. Click the blue “+” button next to the text area to add the subtitle. The subtitle will appear on the transcript and in the timeline underneath the video.
Publish the video. When you have completed your subtitling, press “Publish” and your subtitles will be uploaded to the video on YouTube channel.